Monday, December 10, 2007

Mexico Bound


So I'm leaving to Mexico on Thursday. Riding through Arizona to Copper Canyon, over to the ferry from Los Mochis to La Paz and then criss-crossing up through the Baja California.

Three Women, three motorcycles, three weeks, 4000 miles.

I'm taking a KTM950 Adventure that I bought a couple months ago. Or so I hope.

It blew the water pump on me for the second time. After investigation of why that actually happened again, I found out that the cases are misaligned, which potentially could have damaged the crank, which would make the engine blow up eventually. Now that would be fun. I got all the right parts to fix it for now, but am running out of time to give it a good shakedown run.

I'm nervous about the reliability now. I might take my traveling buddy's brother's KLR instead. I have one day to decide on that. I need to think fast. I know the KLR will make it there and back without a hick-up. The KTM on the other hand is a little more comfortable and just nicer, but I'm not sure if I can trust it yet.

Anyway, I will keep a separate blog for this journey where you can find updates during my travels. You can find it here:

http://motorcyclefraulein.blogspot.com/

The shop will be closed over Christmas, so no new tech blogs, but I will be keeping a journal, and posting to that blog while traveling , internet access permitting...

Keep posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip regardless! I know just what you mean about being worried about reliability... That can ruin a trip even if nothing goes wrong with the bike. This is a vacation, and you deserve a little peace of mind while away for the holiday, yeah?

Enjoy. :D Wish I was making a trip like that. ;) I am thinking about renting a Factory Pro dyno for a day, with me as operator if possible... I'll ping you once you get back and we can talk about it. :D It'll probably get you some extra exposure in a national magazine if the project works out the way I want it to. :D

Auf wieder... Uh, I don't actually know any German, including how to spell the rest of "goodbye". ;)